There is a good chance if you are running an eCommerce Magento store that you already have SEO friendly URLs enabled. Follow the steps below if you are unsure.
- Using your store's admin credentials, login to the admin panel of your Magento Store.
- In the navigation bar at the top of the page hover over the word 'System' and, in the menu that appears, click on the word 'Configuration' at the bottom. This will take you to your Magento default Configuration Settings page.
- On the left hand side of the Configuration Settings page you will see a set of headings and sub-menus. Look for the heading that says 'General' and click the link below it that says 'Web'.
- After clicking on the 'Web' option the right hand side of the page will show a number of different headings. Clicking on these headings will expand them to show you a set of configurable options. Look for the heading that says 'Search Engines Optimization'. If it is not already expanded, click to show its options.
- Look for the configuration option that says 'Use Web Server Rewrites'. It should be the only option under the 'Search Engines Optimization' heading. Make sure the drop down is set to 'Yes'.